The Game : 5k + last man standing race
october 6th (Saturday)
@ 8:00 AM start (gate opens at 7:00 AM)
McKinney Falls State Park
$50 before oct 6th (day-of-race-registration = $60)
This covers your entire race fee and any park entrance fees for The Game. Run a single 5k or commit to running until you just can't run anymore. At 8 AM, everyone will line up at the start line, regardless of how many loops you plan to do. If you make it back in 45 minutes, you are eligible to line up to race again. We will continue that until there is a single racer left standing. It's you against your competitors, and speedy legs will only get you so far.
You need strategy; you need a plan; most of all, you just need to keep running. So, come play our game...
McKinney Falls State Park
5808 McKinney Falls Pkwy, Austin, TX 78744
Your 5k loop will be on the 3.0 mile long Homestead Trail (pictured below in purple). The start/finish will be on the south side of the loop, on the north side of Onion Creek. Before each loop, we'll flip a coin to determine if you'll run clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Clockwise elevation profile:
interactive strava route
cost: $50 (if you wait until race day, it increases to $60)
This includes your park entrance fee, parking, and aid at the start/finish. Covers all distances, whether you compete in the first very competitive 5k or go for the long haul. No medals, no shirts, just racing. 25% of your race fee will go into a pot for overall winner.
25% of race fees will be awarded as prize money to overall winner
The single overall winner, regardless of how long you are out there, will receive 25% of all registration fees. There is no minimum number of loops that need to be completed to be our winner. To win, you must be the single, last person who completed a 5k loop in 45 minutes. If there is no single runner left standing, the house wins and money will likely be used by Spectrum to buy more beer.
Throughout the race, we will announce certain loops as "primes". In that specific loop, the top male and female will both be awarded with a prize from one of our sponsors. These specific loops will be kept a secret until race day. The primes will be announced moments before the start of that loop. Prime awards were generously sponsored by:
Rules of The Game:
- Line up at 8:00 am sharp.
- Be back to the start line in 45 minutes (minimum 15 min/mile pace). Every 45 minutes after the start, we will flip a coin to determine which direction you will run the loop.
- Three whistle blows mean that you have three minutes until the next waive starts. Two whistle blow equals two minutes. One whistle blow lets you know that you are one minute from the next 5k waive!
- No pacers whatsoever
- Aid (water, ice, and orange-flavored-Tailwind) will be provided at the start/finish. Around noon on Saturday, we will start cranking out as many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as you can eat. For those still racing around dinner time, we will order pizza. Everyone is encouraged to bring Thanksgiving left overs to contribute to the "pot luck" aid station.
- To win, you must be the only person left standing, the last runner, everyone else has gone home...