We started out strong and steadfast in our focus on hosting The Game, and it has quickly become clear that we are in the middle of a historic crisis and are left to cross off every creative plan we could conjure up.
As per the CDC's guidelines, we can't host the typical throw-down party style of race that we typically host. The land owners of the ranch where The Game was slated to happen have also closed their gates. With the unknown status of Big's Backyard Ultra and Laz's lack of interest in creating a virtual option, we just don't feel like we're out of options to host The Game this April. So, to be perfectly clear: The Game April 2020 is cancelled.
Now, here is what happens moving forward:
1. We're offering a deferral to the next time we host this race (fingers crossed for end of this year, but it could be April 2021).
2. Those who can't make that race are welcome to free entry into any future Spectrum trail race.
3. We're offering up a fun challenge for April 18th. The person who can run/walk/crawl the furthest from midnight to midnight will be awarded $200. Many of you have been training hard and we want to see you put that training to work. Run road, run trail...we don't care. Run it all at once or run a few miles each hour...get creative. Just run it and record all of those miles on Strava. The person (male or female) in The Game Strava club with the most mileage for that day (April 18th) will get some cash!
We know this isn't ideal, and thank you for being patient with us while we exhausted all possible options. Be good to each other, and we look forward to following along with your epic mileage on April 18th!
Mallory, Jason, and Paxton
IF YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED UP FOR THE GAME AND WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE APRIL 18TH CHALLENGE (MOST MILEAGE RUN ON THAT DAY), REGISTER BELOW TO THROW YOUR NAME IN THE HAT AND TO FIGHT FOR THAT $200 PRIZE:
Last Runner Standing
12:00 AM (CDT)
Saturday April 18, 2020
APRIL 18TH : 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM (24 HOURS)
RULES OF OUR APRIL 18TH 24-HOUR CHALLENGE:
1. EVERYONE REGISTERED FOR THE GAME IS AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED IN THE CHALLENGE (THIS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR DEFERRAL TO NEXT YEAR'S RACE). OTHERS CAN JOIN FOR $15.
2. YOU MUST RECORD EVERY STEP YOU TAKE TO HAVE IT COUNT. THEN, UPLOAD IT TO STRAVA.
3. YOU CAN RUN ROAD, TRAIL, OR TRACK. YOU MAY WALK, RUN, OR CRAWL, BUT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING CAN BE USED TO HELP PROPEL YOU FORWARD.
4. UNLIKE THE GAME, YOU MAY HAVE PACERS. ALTHOUGH I WOULD RATHER MAKE THIS A SOLO ENDEAVOR, IT WOULD BE TOO HARD TO MONITOR, SO WE WILL ALLOW YOU TO HAVE A BUDDY OR TWO WITH YOU, JUST BE SMART ABOUT ONLY RUNNING WITH THOSE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD OR PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING.
5. UPLOAD PICTURES AND VIDEO TO INSTAGRAM, TAGGING @SPECTRUMTRAIL SO WE CAN MONITOR YOUR MILES AND KEEP A RUNNING TOTAL!
6. WINNER (MALE OR FEMALE) TAKES ALL. $200 CASH.
Rules Of The Game (Last Man Standing):
- Plan to park 7:00 - 7:30 am
- Line up at 8:00 am sharp to start your first 4.1667 loop. Everyone starts at once.
- At the beginning of each loop, everyone is tied. Until the game is over or you’d dropped out, everyone is at the same place, rankings wise.
- Be back to the start line in 60 minutes (minimum 14:23 min/mile pace). Every 60 minutes after the start, we will flip a coin to determine which direction you will run the loop.
- We will give you a 2 minute and 1 minute warning to get lined up for each wave/race.
- Crew access is available at the start/finish. There is plenty of room to set up for your racer. Tents are allowed in camping areas only, a short 1 minute walk from the start/finish. Once you’ve DNFed, you are required to vacate your space at the start/finish to make room for any remaining racers.
- No pacers whatsoever.
- We will provide aid at the start/finish (water, ice, and orange-flavored-Tailwind). Around noon on Saturday, we will start cranking out as many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as you can eat.
- To win, you must be the only person left standing, the last runner, everyone else has gone home...
$400 Cash + Pair Of La Sportiva Shoes Awarded To The Overall Winner, Male Or Female
The single overall winner, regardless of how long you are out there, will receive $400. There is no minimum number of loops that need to be completed to be our winner. To win, you must be the single, last person who completed a 4.1667 loop in 60 minutes. If there is no single runner left standing, the house wins and Spectrum will likely use the prize money to buy more beer. Last year, the winner ran until 11:30 pm(ish), for a total of 15+ hours.
Throughout the race, we will announce certain loops as "primes". In that specific loop, the top male and female will both be awarded with a prize from one of our sponsors. These specific loops will be kept a secret until race day. The primes will be announced moments before the start of that loop. Prime awards were generously sponsored by:
Aid Stations and Drop Bags
The only aid station will be at the start/finish line. We will have a pavilion area at the start/finish reserved for racers and their drop bags and crews. All racers are welcome to bring pop-up tents, chairs, coolers, and whatever accouterments you need to endure The Game.
2784 FM 2434
Columbus, Texas (1.5 hours from Austin (1 hour from Austin airport), 1 hour from Houston)
88 Ranch has a Hunter's Cabin with 3 bunk beds (sleeps 6, coed), a shower, a living room, and a kitchen. The beds are available to reserve at $44/night ($88 for weekend).
When you’re ready to book this, just visit the Race Lodging section of our store! As of mid-November, there are still 5 beds available.
Camping Overnight @ The Game is Covered by Spectrum!
There will be a designated space for camping, that starts approx 10 meters away from the start/finish. You can camp as close as a 1 minute walk away or situate yourself further in the woods for a bit more peace and quiet. You must provide your own tent. We suggest you also bring a pop-up tent, camping chair, changes of clothes and a cooler full of your favorite snacks/drinks so you can take care of yourself between loops!